Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kindle's New Marketing Plan: Target Buyers Without Opposable Thumbs

Finally, books without the hassle of turning a page! Our thumb-challenged friends have been oppressed and kept in ignorance for long enough. One happy Kindle customer, Grendel, said, "Thanks to the paw-friendly NEXT PAGE button, I was able to read my way through high school, surpassing expectations and becoming the first four-legged valedictorian."


Grendel adds, "And I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing more animal-friendly keyboards too, because those of us who can read also want to try our paw at writing." The tech-savvy canine then went on to recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

Though I haven't read it yet, from what I can gather, the author is a dog who shares his thoughts as he watches his human go through a string of bad luck adventures. Definitely on my TBR list. Plus, it has 4.5 stars on Amazon.com with 730 reviews.

We thus must thank all e-readers for the sudden burst in literacy in our unopposably-thumbed friends.

Now, there are scientists out there who are trying to claim that the ciliary muscle or crystalline lens in dogs aren't as developed as those in humans, meaning that it is physically impossible for their eyeballs to focus on words on a page and read. And to that, all I have to say is:

Wishbone.

Has anyone here read The Art of Racing in the Rain? I'm excited to check it out and I'd love to hear your opinion. And also, any Wishbone fans around here? I wish I could buy a DVD set of all the episodes, because when I have kids, I want them to experience literature through a fun medium in elementary school too! Leave a comment and let me know what you think :)

7 comments:

Tura Lura March 3, 2010 at 2:13 AM  

I LOVE Wishbone! A DVD set would be awesome...

Jude March 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

P.S. to anyone who cares:

I'M MYSPACE FRIENDS WITH THE GUY WHO PLAYED JOE TALBOT! hahaha I tried to friend Sam, but she declined :(

Kristin Halbrook March 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Aww, look at that puppppppyyyyyyy!!

I have read The Art - I enjoyed it very much. Great narrator. Some plot predictability and emotional manipulation, but the writing was excellent. And dogs FTW.

Jude March 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Yeah, I guess we have to expect that since all dog books are ultimately tear jerkers. But I can't help it! I have to read it (dogs<3), even though it'll probably make me cry :(

Susan Adrian March 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

Loved Wishbone. We have like 3 stuffed animal Wishbones from when I worked at a bookstore! My daughter's just getting old enough to appreciate them...

Steph Schmidt March 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

I miss Wishbone. To think of the poor kids who are growing up without the series.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is really well written. The story does get a little dark in the middle but I was pleased with how it ended.

Jude March 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM  

I KNOW! There's definitely a demand for Wishbone DVDs, but whoever owns the rights just isn't supplying the demand! ARghaghga

Wow look at all these good reviews for The Art of Racing in the Rain! You've all convinced me :)