Thursday, April 8, 2010

Click Here to Win an iPad!

Like any other reader, there's lots of things I check for in manuscripts--voice, plot, dialogue, the whole shebang--but here's probably the first thing I notice: if the writing sounds like *I* could've written it.

It's such a let down, when that thought floats through my mind. I mean, I'm no writer, so if I think the writing sounds like me or worse, then that's minus 50 brownie points, mister. Then I get this crazy idea that maybe I *can* be a writer! It's a side effect from reading "meh" stories; I suddenly get this hope that maybe I'm not so bad after all.

BUT THEN, I'll come across good writing. Freaking awesome writing (for instance, I'm currently reading Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner, but more on that later...) that I can't put down and after awhile I realize I've been holding my breath and I don't even care that I'm giggling like a giddy school girl on a crowded subway...

That's when I concede, "Wow. There's no way I can ever be a writer." And then I gush to my supervisors "GUYS GUYS GUYS! I FOUND...THE ONE!!1!!1" and then they sign her as a client, sell a jillion books, make it a movie, so we all can retire and take daily naps and eat red velvet cupcakes on the beach at sunset.

THE END

10 comments:

Roxy April 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Yours sounds like a very interesting and rewarding career. However, I think you'd get bored with the naps and cupcakes eventually and want to find the next big story. I'm glad you have a blog. You seem like a writer to me. :)

Lisa Richards/alterlisa April 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

Sounds to me like you are already a writer!

Kristin Halbrook April 8, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

You're adorable.

Myrna Foster April 9, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

I get that feeling when I read something amazing, too. But, I need to write. And, the more I write/revise, the better my writing gets.

Anonymous April 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Hey, it works for me. And don't forget, if you find "the one" and make her rich, Jo will buy you a car. Nice website.

lotusgirl April 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

I LOVE it when I get caught up in a book that I can't put down. I'm going to have to check out Pieces of Sky.

Shelley Watters April 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

Sounds like a fantastic book. I can't wait till I finish writing my work in progress so that I can read it!

Tahereh April 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM  

*crosses arms*
so, where, exactly, is my iPAD?

(hehe. great post. but i'm SURE you could write a novel. i think some of the best writers are also the best READERS. so just dive in! what've you got to lose? :D)

Sassy Chica April 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

YOU SOUND FABULOUS...nice to meet you and your blog!!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Ann April 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

I just popped over from Jackee's Wind Words for a peek and thoroughly enjoyed your post. I have added this excellent book to my must have list. Red velvet cupcakes....on a beach at sunset. Sounds heavenly.