Saturday, April 3, 2010

Guernsey

I know ya'll have read this already, but I never got to blog about it because...well, I didn't have a blog back then. But I've been reading a lot of commercial mss lately so I picked this off my shelf for a bit of a change. And I fell in love all over again.

I first read it last spring when I was interning for Random House and they gave me a free copy. I was really shocked that they'd give me one of the hottest titles that season, but they're so generous with books over there :)

In case you're the one person left who hasn't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I won't give away who Juliet chooses, so I'll just call him THE GUY. THE GUY is amazing, just wow. The romance was so much better because it wasn't a romance. I mean, the love story was subtle until the very end when BAM! It grips your heart and doesn't let go and you're left reading the last pages over and over and over...And I'm really impressed that contemporary authors Shaffer and Barrows could create a story reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. Just lovely.

Of course, there was a lot more to the story than the romance. But I promised this would just be a quick post because people are waiting for me lol.

How about you? What were your thoughts when reading Guernsey for the first time?

10 comments:

Anonymous April 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

I haven't read this yet, but it sounds like a wonderful book! *puts on TBR list*

Unknown April 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

This was such a fantastic book -- I rave about it all the time. My book club is very diverse, and it's rare to get 11 women to agree on anything, but everyone LOVED it!

Myrna Foster April 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM  

I loved this one. I didn't get around to reading it until December, but then I kept pushing it at people and blogged about it to boot. I agree with you on THE GUY, and I loved, LOVED the part Mr. Wilde played in the story. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an adult novel so much.

And (off the subject) They Might Be Giants does have at least three children's educational/music video DVDs that I know of. The podcast clips come from their movies.

Jude April 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Yeah, I guess it was Random House's favorite for a reason, eh? :)

Myrna Foster April 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

About the How to Train Your Dragon movie: I don't know your family, Judith, but I'm 33. If they like the trailer, they'll probably like the movie.

lotusgirl April 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

I did a review of this book last year. I loved it. Your description of the romance is perfect. It is so subtle that it just sneaks up on you. When I finished reading it, I googled the authors, so I could send them a note about how much I loved the book and found out that Ms. Shaffer had died before the book ever made it to the shelves. I just sat there and balled. She never saw her book totally finished and how happy it made people. She'd never write another book that we all could enjoy. *sigh*

Jude April 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

She died?! Oh my goodness. How terrible. Just like Stieg Larsson... :(

Lisa Richards/alterlisa April 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

I haven't read it but I know it is lurking in my TBR pile. I have almost finished "The Better Part of Darkness". I'm going to hide somewhere tomorrow and finish it, I don't care what else is going on. And yeah, Hank is my fav.

Bethany Wiggins April 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

I haven't read it yet but after your review, I can't wait!

Tahereh April 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

ok, so i have *not* read this book, but i just had to comment long enough to say that I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR TAG LINE.

OMG.
OMG.

i have ALWAYS wanted to quote that line from Happy Gilmore but, as you must know, it is far too inappropriate for casual conversation.

hehehe

i LOVE it.

thanks for making my day ;D