Friday, September 17, 2010

my pitch

Sharon asked her readers to practice pitching their books in 30 words or less, but since I don't have a, you know, "completed" or even "partial" book per se, I decided to write a pitch for my life.

(ahem, ahem)
"A literary assistant moonlights as a bounty hunter when she discovers the villains from the rejected slush pile have come alive to terrorize her town."

Look me in the eye and TELL me that that book isn't worth a seven-figure, 3-book deal!

In other news, no working LIRR trains at Penn Station tonight. Penn was pretty much in lock down with cops everywhere and a metal grating that kept people outside from getting in, and people inside from getting out. Luckily my dad had his car in the city so I asked him for a ride. Unluckily, there were fallen trees everywhere, resulting in amazing traffic. We started driving at 6:30pm and arrived home at 12:30am.

Exactly 6 hours to cover 24 miles = a whopping 4 mph.

As in, I could've run home in about the same time.

Speaking of exercise, my Keysi school's grand re-opening is on Saturday! IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW, Keysi is the fighting style used in Batman Begins and Dark Knight.

(that's me in the cape there)

Normally, I never get angry, but getting punched in the eye will do the trick.

Let me explain: At the end of each session, the whole class gangs up on you so it's 7 vs. 1, to get you used to fighting multiple opponents. And well, I can only block so many hits and so I took a few juicy jabs right in the eye, after which I started growling, baring my teeth, and going berserk. Well, as berserk as my toothpick arms could go, at least. But the instructor was like "Finally! You're getting angry!"

Hm. Rage, how strange.

-jude

8 comments:

Shelley Watters September 17, 2010 at 1:42 AM  

I can't picture you getting angry.

And I'm sorry to hear that it took you six hours to get home! NY traffic. Makes me glad I live in AZ!

Jude September 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM  

You live in AZ?! Do you know my friend Kat?!!?!?

Myrna Foster September 17, 2010 at 2:13 AM  

Wow. Not only are you great in a fight, you run a four minute mile marathon? ;)

Thanks for sharing the video, and I'd read the book you pitched, if you wrote it.

lotusgirl September 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

6 hours. Insane! 30 word pitch? Hm. I need to get right on that.

Unknown September 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

Hi there--

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I didn't think anyone looked at it anymore.

Your blog makes me laugh a lot. I'll keep reading!

All best,
Grace

Richard Levangie September 17, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

You make me laugh. Always!

Interesting about the differences in martial arts. We were always taught to control anger and fear so that we stayed relaxed and could see attacks clearly.

But 7 to 1 odds might call for a little righteous rage!

Sharon K. Mayhew September 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

OMGoodness, you linked to my post! Way cool...Thanks for the compliment. :) Don't you just love the illustration S. did for my pb?

I love your pitch! I think it sounds like a new up and coming show on HBO!

My one on one with my hf pb went well...the editor said she thought my voice was lovely, but thought the book was geared for the scholarly market and thought it should be developed into a mg novel...

Round two tomorrow...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Judith!

Shelley Watters October 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

I'm so sorry I didn't see your answer to my comment. I don't know if I know Kat or not, maybe? :)