Tuesday, September 14, 2010

all about the bidness

The agency gave me business cards! With my name on it! They had 500 billion printed--I counted.

Also, today I called a publisher in France and surprised myself with my fluent French. Ok so my accent was pretty abysmal, but I remembered all the vocab and conjugations necessary to have a conversation. Ok ok so it was a pretty one-sided dialogue, given that I didn't catch anything he said, but you know. I'm pretty sure we're bffs now. We had a moment, we did, right before he hung up as he yelled, "Va te faire foutre!"

In other news, Keysi Fighting Method is still awesome. I've got this sick bruise on my punybulging bicep here, telling all the passersby "Don't mess!" Or maybe it's more, "Help--my boyfriend beats me!" But either way, it's a badge of...of something.

But you're right. This is a book blog. I need to focus.





I'm currently reading the thriller Shadowman that came out in 2007 and you know, Cody gets me every time. I read The Face of Death (2008) too and he just always makes me cry. His thrillers are gruesome and twisted, for all the fans of gore out there, but they're so, so tender too and I end up weeping on the train 3-4 times in just one novel. As in, full body-shaking sobs while the guy sitting next to me shifts in his seat and jumps out at the next stop.

Basically, every time I read Cody's work, I find myself holding my breath because the killer! the killer! behind you!!! while I'm mentally taking note of all the poignant lines that I'd like to try on my husband someday and when the train stops I'm all disoriented because I'm pretty sure I just watched my whole family die, but no it's just the characters in the book and I end up valuing my life, family, and friends so much more. I KNOW THAT SOUNDED REALLY CHEESY, but when I put down his book I'm like "Omg. A serial killer can break into my house any second," at which point I send a mass text to my friends, all two of them, saying "I LOVE YOU PLZ DON'T DIE :(!!1!"

So if you're looking for a dark thriller, Cody's novels are right up your alley. They're freaking intense.

-jude

11 comments:

lotusgirl September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

OK. Can I just tell you how fun you are to read?

You gotta love the French. Umm. I'm sure he was just letting you know how much he cared. *blink, blink*

I'm not a fan of gore (I really like to sleep without freaking out every time the air flips on), but if I were I would read Shadowman on your rec alone. Sounds riveting.

Lola Sharp September 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

I've never heard of Keysi fighting (note to self: must google Keysi), but I'm in favor of any method where ass kicking and ass tightening are merged. (I'm pretty agile with a punching bag) I'm intrigued.

I LOVE Cody's writing! *swoon*

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. What a treat to follow its trail back to yours.

~Lola

Kelly Polark September 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

I think Cody's books would scare me!! I'm such a chicken!!!

Sharon K. Mayhew September 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

I love feeling strong! I partake in kickboxing twice a week. Tried to convince my hubby to buy me sparing mitts (for him to hold) for Mother's Day, so I could hit him. (grin) He wouldn't...I think he was scared. (wink)


Thanks for stopping by my blog and reading about Buffy! I've read quite a bit of her book manuscript. It is beautiful!


Congratulations on the business cards. My husband has millions of them. Everytime his company reorganizes they give him a new title and new cards. He uses them to take notes on when he meets people, both for himself and if he's giving someone some input.

Jaydee Morgan September 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

I love a great thriller so I'll have to check these books out. Though, I'll admit, I'm like you in that they freak me out and I'll be on guard for serial killers for days afterwards ;)

Unknown September 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

I love stopping by a new blogger (a new blogger to me that is) and seeing all my blog buddies have already found you!

You're a very intriguing writer, I read the whole things, and often I find myself skimming when I'm tired! I'm all about the killer books as well, I'm looking forward to adding Cody to my list and picking up these books!

Denise Covey September 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

Oh, he does sound intense. Must pick one up when I feel like a good scare. I thought James Patterson and Carl Hassen were bad enough.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and laughing at the Clintonesque lies. Better than all that crying!

Have a good weekend...well it is Friday here..:)

Vicki Rocho September 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

I don't do thrillers too much anymore. I'm too easily freaked out since I had kids and am tasked with protecting the little buggers forevermore.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love the name of yours. I'm sitting at my desk saying "omnomnom" over and over. Good thing I'm alone.

Jackee September 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

You are too funny, Judith! :o) I'll have to check out Keysi. I'm one of those wimpy Tai chi practitioners, but I've been toning up so maybe I'm ready to get that "Don't mess!" look going. lol

Have a great night!

Jackee September 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Oh! And congrats on the business cards. :o)

lexcade September 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

definitely putting shadow man on my must-read list. i LOVE horror movies, but i haven't read much in the genre. thanks for the recommendation!

also, thanks for stopping by my blog! i appreciate it :)