Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Truth Comes Out (+ a Halloween Contest)

Yesterday over drinks, a writer friend pointed out that my new approach is all wrong. His logic:
A) Writers don't care that much about money.
B) So writers feel disdain toward people who DO care a lot about money (i.e. businessmen and uber-businessy agents).
C) Therefore, I should just be myself instead of Ms. Hardass Poweragent.

Damn. I changed my whole layout for nothing.

So to answer your question, Talei, my soul is not black, but actually peenk (@Mer_Barnes was correct). Funny because last night, the topic of auras came up, and two friends concurred that mine is as pink as a puppy's paw. Also, that my spirit animal is a hamster. I must admit, they got me spot on. They then found my exact face on Google.










(I look this pumped all the time, in my cubicle, in the shower,
everywhere.)


(At KFM though, I turn into General Hammie.)














So you're probably all disappointed, eager to see me be posh and all, but I'm back to just myself. Sigh.

ON TO SCARIER SUBJECTS: I'm starting to work on Halloween costumes for Grendel and me. Last year, he was Little Red Riding Hood and I was the Big Bad Wolf disguised as the Grandma.

(Grandma shawl not shown here. Also, I sewed Gren's hooded cape by hand!)













So what's my contest? PART ONE: Guess what Gren and I will be this year! Again, we're dressing as a pair mentioned in a book. We're not the main characters this time, we're only mentioned in a simile in this very old and famous book. And of course, "wolf" is somewhere in the phrase. HINT: When I ran the idea by Gren, at first he was like, "No way--I am not dressing up as a ___." But after awhile, he conceded that, while it is quite emasculating, he's manly enough to pull it off. Plus, I think it's really cute.

PART TWO: Guess what character I'm going to be at night! HINT: Lots of leather. And this one has nothing to do with wolves.

Ok you have a couple choices for a prize. The first two are paranormal, the third is a YA thriller, and the last is a thriller for adults--something Halloweeny no matter your taste, no? (By the way, my copy of SO COLD THE RIVER is signed by Michael Koryta! That's right! He touched the book and scribbled stuff on it!)














If you've already read all these or just want something else, let me know! Maybe I can bake you brownies. Mine are superb--even my foodie friends agree. In fact, I'm baking a batch for my KFM class this Saturday to show my sparring buddies how much I lav them.

Contest ends Oct 31st midnight. Comment with your answers, choice of a prize, and also your email address. If no one guesses both day and night costumes correctly, we can have two winners. And if you guess wrong, but come up with COOLER outfits for Gren and me (that's somehow a play on "wolf"), and it makes me want to change our outfits to that instead, then you win a prize too! IT'S GETTING CRAZY OVER HERE! PRIZES FOR EVERYONE*** WHOOOHAOHOWHEOO!!! Books and brownies, how can you go wrong?

-jude

***jay kay. not for everyone.

10 comments:

Shelley Watters October 15, 2010 at 2:21 AM  

Yay for hammie pictures! :) I love that General Hammie pic. I just wanna squeeze him!

How cute were your costumes last year? Adorable! I'm going to dress as an overworked underpaid stay at home mom/writer with a couple of kids in costumes. Hopefully it's convincing. LOL. My 4 yo wants to be a construction worker. He said I could dress up as a dump truck. Thanks kid. Love you too.

And I have no clue on the costumes? I can't even hazard a guess! LOL

Jude October 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Maybe I need to give more hints?

PART ONE: The book is a bestseller and has been for...a thousand and a half years. Think wolf metaphors.

PART TWO: I bought a leather studded collar. This one should be easy.

Sharon K. Mayhew October 16, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

Part one: So I'm thinking it's something Biblical???

Part two: Should we all be blushing???

Love the hammster pictures...and you and Gren last year. WTG on hand sewing the costumes!

Be yourself...care about your clients...love the words you read and choose to represent...

Unknown October 16, 2010 at 5:52 AM  

Cute hamster picture. It makes me mind less that people sometimes refer to me as having hamster cheeks when I grin.

Part 1: Sheep. I'm thinking (with the metaphor clue) of the whole wolf in sheep's clothing thing.

Part 2: Catwoman...?

My guesses are probably totally wrong... However, if, by some insane miracle, I've managed to guess one correctly then I'd choose the first book.

But I probably failed.

Enjoy your Halloween. =)

Candyland October 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Oh crap. This is hard (that's what she said).
Rebecca had a good guess with the first one...hmm...I'll say something like Teen Wolf! Ha!...yeah I know. Not even close.

As for the second one: biker chick?cat? Lucy from art class in high school?

ZAKARIYA SHERMAN October 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZAKARIYA SHERMAN October 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

At night I think you're going to be Lisbeth Salandar.

Still thinking about the first one.

Zak

P.S. the pic of the Hammie is prety cool.

ZAKARIYA SHERMAN October 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

I know that Virgil, Dante, Homer, and Aesop all use wolf similes, but their books are older with the exception of Dante's.

I can only guess that Gren will either be a lamb or a nurse.

lotusgirl October 17, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

1. Beowulf and Grendel?

2. A Goth?

You're so Pink? I love it. I wear a lot of pink on the inside. I especially love Black and hot pink.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy October 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

I think I should know the answer to this but I don't :(

You are going as a hamster! No wait... White Fang? No that doesn't match the clues either. Wolverine and ...no that doesn't work either.

Peter and the Wolf

part 2: leather...um. Catwoman is a good guess. Especially with the collar.