Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not the worst $13 I've ever spent

Don't ask me why, but my best friend and I went to see I AM NUMBER FOUR.

It was...okay. The special effects were good. And Alex Pettyfer delivered more than enough eye candy for two hours (what's the deal with him anyway? Is he going to play Peeta, Jace, or what?)

But the movie felt so contrived in the way it included YA tropes. And there was a lot of telling, and not enough showing, particularly in the beginning where John basically tells the audience everything that's going on. As if we couldn't figure it out ourselves with a good script and director.

Also, the lines were painfully cheesy. We couldn't help cracking up at pivotal moments.

But yeah, there are worst things to blow $13 on. And did I mention that Alex Pettyfer is quite easy on the eyes, especially on a 30' x 70' screen?

So here's my question: Has anyone read the book? Is it worth reading? It has 203 reviews on Amazon with an average of 3.5 stars, but I don't even know if that means much. I AM CURIOUS. LET ME KNOW.

1 comments:

Star-Dreamer March 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

I've been thinking about buying it, but I haven't decided anything yet. The commercials for the movie look good, but I've discovered a lot of movies that have good commercials and fall way, way short. And vise-versa. I'll have to look into it some more. :)